A brief history of St Helen's Church
Thought to go back as far as Saxon times although the main body of the building dates about 1050 to 1140. Maybe the oldest church in Lancashire.
West wall is almost certainly Saxon as much thicker than either of the known Norman walls.
Norman work is noticeable in the 12th Century doorway.
The chancel was built in 1771 and was the third that the church had.
In 1773 the building was enlarged and the original windows removed.
The square headed windows are early 19th century.
In 1963 the church was rescued from advancing urbanisation as a generous buyer bought the adjoining field and prevented it being developed.
For more detailed information on Overton and St Helen's church please visit:
Some St Helen's church records: http://lan-opc.org.uk/Overton/index.html